History of Warrington Transporter Bridge
Warrington Transporter Bridge (also known as Bank Quay Transporter Bridge or Crosfield's Transporter Bridge) across the River Mersey is a structural steel transporter bridge with a span of 200 feet (61 metres). It is 30 feet wide (9 metres), and 76 feet (23metres) above high water level, with an overall length of 339 feet (103 metres). It was built in 1915 and, although it has been out of use since about 1964, it is still standing. It was designed by William Henry Hunter and built by William Arrol and Co.
It was originally one of two such bridges across the Mersey at Warrington, the other having been erected in 1905 slightly to the north of the existing bridge.
This photo shows the first transporter bridge and was taken around 1906, viewed from the west.
The south pier was
on deep piles. The north pier sprouted from the top of the warehouse.
The second Transporter Bridge, which is still standing today, was built to despatch finished product from the cement plant that had been built on the peninsula. It was originally used to carry rail vehicles up to 18 tons in weight, and was converted for road vehicles in 1940. In 1953 it was modified to carry loads of up to 30 tons.
This photo shows the Transporter Bridge in use in 1951.
The bridge is designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building, and because of its poor condition it is on their Heritage at Risk Register. The bridge is protected as a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
This website has been developed by the group 'Friends of Warrington Transporter Bridge' (FoWTB) which was formed in April 2015 to act as the independent voice of the bridge. FoWTB is liaising with other interest groups to safeguard the bridge's industrial heritage status.